Monday, March 28, 2011

Lazy, Munchy Crafty Sunday


 You know you've lucked out when you like your co-workers enough to spend time with them outside of work!

The tradition of Crafty Sunday started a few years ago when my boss, Geeta, (an amazing potter) offered to teach us all how to make mosaics. She had a bunch of pottery she considered flawed (although the rest of us couldn't see flaws) and she let us smash it up and use it to make our mosaics.

I decorated a flower pot (see pic below) and loved every minute of it. I was hooked and decided I would make mosaics for everyone I knew for Christmas that year.

I started with a pretty big project: a mosaic table for my sister featuring her favorite possession - her car. It took a lot longer than I thought and ended up being the only mosaic Christmas present I made. And actually - the last mosaic I ever made (or at least finished.) But the effort paid off - she LOVES it and has it proudly on display in her new house!

During our last Crafty Sunday, we made cards. I enjoyed it, but I was really looking forward to trying another big project. So, this time I decided to try sewing. I didn't plan ahead well enough to tackle my original idea of recovering my couch throw pillows, but I did get to learn how to make a little bag, thanks to Kate (also my running buddy) who makes gorgeous purses, clothes and jewelry (see below).

My first sewing project since junior high home ec.

We also each got to make a few clay magnets with Geeta's amazing wooden stamp collection - mostly from India. Geeta will glaze and fire them in the pottery studio at UCSD.

Yesterday was a lot less productive than past Crafty Sundays - we were all late and we spent most of the time chatting, drinking mimosas and munching. But it was a great way to spend the day - not worrying about work (or anything), just being friends. :)

Oh - I also got to try out a new recipe: vegan ceviche - or, my version of it at least. And, it was a hit! Geeta had sent me this recipe and I made something similar with what I had on hand. Here's how I did it.

Vegan Ceviche
1/2 onion diced
4 roma tomatoes chopped
2 small avocados chopped
1 can garbanzo beans
3 lemons
3 oranges
handful of cilantro chopped

Assemble everything, squeeze the juice over it and let it sit for 3-4 hours or overnight. Serve with hearty tortilla chips (no wimpy ones!)


Now, let's see if I can get inspired enough to break out my sewing machine and tackle those couch pillows... :)

More crafty pics:


Some of Kate's amazing bags from a past craft fair.
A closer look at one of Geeta's awesome wooden stamps.

My first mosaic project.


 



2 comments:

  1. Now that I have a new car I need a new table... you have until Christmas get crackin :)
    I love you sissy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I still marvel at Amys table, not sure how you did that. Those wooden stamps are amazing, the detail in them is unbelievable.

    Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete