Sunday, March 6, 2011

Getting Back on Track


I'll be eating more of this...
A lot of vegan books and blogs say that once you cut out meat and dairy, you instantly lose weight, without counting calories...

Not the case for me.

I feel great - more energy, better moods, improved um... digestion :) All-around better.

But I haven't lost any weight. In fact, over the last few weeks, I've gained a few pounds. Maybe it had something to do with that batch of vegan chocolate chip cookies I polished off or the vegan butter I've been slathering all over my toast or the generous amount of olive oil in everything I cook or the extra carbs I've been shoveling in... hmmm... maybe...


...And less of these! :)
I didn't go vegan to lose weight (though that would have been a nice side effect). But I definitely don't want to gain weight. So, I guess its time to start paying attention again to quantity as well as quality.

I've been a Weight Watcher on and off for years. To me it's the best program because you can eat whatever you want, you just have to keep track so you don't overdo it. And I can so easily overdo it!

So, I have recommitted to tracking my intake again to get back on track. I started Wednesday and it's been pretty eye-opening - I'd been eating way too much! I cut my portions down and started measuring again (a tablespoon is a lot less than I remember) and I already feel a difference.  

How I served those enchiladas last week - yum!

One thing that I always tried to do when dieting before was to make sure I was getting enough protein from lean meats. Since meat is off the table (and out of the fridge), it will be interesting to try and figure out what works best for me now. I don't want to rely too much on tofu or meat-substitutes, so I'll have to make sure I get enough from whole grains and legumes.

My goal is just to lose those few extra pounds that crept on in the last few weeks and their friends who've have been hanging around since the holidays. Stay tuned to see how I do! 

Made rice bowls with the leftover filling - mmm!

If you have a favorite healthy recipe please share it below! (Even if it has meat and/or dairy, as I can always change it up to work for me.)








4 comments:

  1. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mushroom-Lentil-Barley-Stew/Detail.aspx

    I make this one pretty often. It's super easy and filling. I only put 1/4 of the pepper or my mouth would be burning off. I also put in a whole onion instead of the dried stuff. Keep up the blog I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa - I will definitely try it!! That's a perfect vegan meal. By the way - I just discovered your blog too: http://www.tinynotions.com/ You've gotta keep it going!! It's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say how lucky I am to have a wife like you. The chili was good. And to be honest most of the food you cook is good. Keep up the experiments sweetie. And a big thank you for today. Even though you didn't want eat it breakfast was good. 3 eggs, bagels with cream cheese and wait for it applewood bacon. Woohoo it was delicious I rarely get a chance to eat that bad stuff. Thanks for taking care of me and being a good sport. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww... thanks Sweetie! Just because I'm not eating bacon doesn't mean you shouldn't get to enjoy it for your birthday breakfast!! (I have to admit it smelled amazing!) Thanks for all of the encouragement!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete