Monday, March 21, 2011

Crunchy, Yummy Homemade Granola Bars

I've been reading lots of labels lately - looking for snacks without dairy (and tons of sugar) and they're hard to find. I even discovered that my favorite Kashi bars have whey protein powder - boooo!

I've wanted to make granola bars ever since I saw Alton Brown make them on "Good Eats." He made it look pretty easy - and it was! I used his recipe with a few substitutions and they came out crunchy, yummy and delicious.

Crunchy, Yummy Homemade Granola Bars
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup chopped cashews
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 wheat germ
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/8 cup evaporated cane sugar
1/4 cup earth balance butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup ounces chopped dried apricots

Butter glass baking dish and set aside. I used two - 8x8 and 4x8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a giant cookie sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the agave, sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Press into the baking dishes and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares - I got 24.

Make them your own with your favorite nuts, nut butters, dried fruits or seasonings.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Even though you ate that Kashi bar, you're still totally glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! Ok - good! Phew! I still have some in my drawer at work if you want a snack... or you can wait for my next batch of vegan Alton bars! :)

    ReplyDelete