Friday, March 11, 2011

On the Road Again...Chicken and Waffles, Anyone?

My view of Atlanta from the hotel.
I did some more traveling this week.

Destination: Atlanta. Known more for southern fried chicken than vegan cuisine. So this was another opportunity to put my new lifestyle to the test.

The verdict: I didn't starve, but it wasn't the healthiest couple days.

I attended a conference and was in a hotel for most of the time. Getting in late Tuesday, I opted for room service: a big salad, a plate of steamed veggies (and french fries).


Okra-topped veggie burger.

Day two breakfast was an Odwalla smoothie. Lunch - salad and a roll from the buffet. That night's dinner was actually fun - I found a nearby restaurant with a veggie burger on the menu - woo hoo! (And french fries.)

The third day's lunch was a two-course sit down meal. I shook the parmesan cheese off the salad and requested a vinaigrette dressing instead of the caesar. In response to my request for a vegan option for the second course, they brought out a plate of rice covered with grilled veggies and tomato sauce - not bad!

I also ate two meals in the airport which was easier then I thought. Each way I found spots that offered a veggie sandwich. (With french fries.)

I rarely used to indulge in french fries, but when they are one of the few "safe" things on the menu, its hard to resist! I also relied a lot on packaged processed bars for snacks, which wasn't ideal. But, I managed to stick to it - three days in Atlanta, no meat, no dairy!

So, I didn't get to try chicken and waffles, small price to pay, right?

What really got me through it was knowing I could come home and make some wholesome, delicious, satisfying meals. And, I had a big box of CSA veggies waiting for me when I got home!

Home sweet home
Tonight, I attempted to make miso soup for the first time. It turned out pretty good, but I think I can do better so I'll do some more experimenting before I share a recipe.

It definitely felt a lot more healthy and nourishing than anything I ate over the past few days.

I'd heard that miso was really good for you, but I wasn't sure how so I did a little research and here's what I learned.

Fermented soy beans and yeast mold - who knew?

The fermented paste made from rice, barley or wheat and yeast mold is full of:
  • B-12
  • zinc
  • manganese
  • copper
  • iron
  • protein - 2 grams per tablespoon
It's also said to help protect against breast cancer.

Read more about miso. 

Next up: BEANS! I'm going to try and make something from dried kidney beans for the first time ever. Goodbye canned beans! Stay tuned to see how they turn out.

2 comments:

  1. I officially love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! Thanks so much Lauren! I am loving writing it, so that really means a lot!

    ReplyDelete