Friday, March 18, 2011

Flowers and Recycling Make Me Happy

Today I took the day off and Pat and I went to the Carlsbad Flower Fields. It was my first time and I thought it was pretty cool!

If you want to go this year, go soon - it's only open for eight more weeks. And I think next weekend or the following will be the best because there were tons of buds just about to bloom.

Check out some pics:










Less trash, more worm food
On the way home we picked up some plastic tubs to make our own composting system. With all the veggies we've been eating, I've been wanting to do something with the trimmings besides throwing them in the trash.

We saw a compost system a few years ago at the Del Mar Fair (er, San Diego County Fair) and I was intrigued. It used worms to break down the matter. My dad was really impressed and went home and made his own. I think we can do it too. And, he offered to give me some of his worms.

I found a good how-to online: http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/easywormbin.htm

If all goes well, we should soon have some nutrient-rich compost to add to our plants. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment