Friday, April 1, 2011

A Tale of Two Stir Frys

Last night I made stir fry and it was really disappointing. I think I may have burnt the garlic and used too many greens. It was bitter and mushy and just plain yucky.

So, I don't know what possessed me to make stir fry again tonight...except for maybe a chance for redemption? And maybe the fact that it was pretty warm and I didn't want to turn on the oven. And maybe it had something to do with wanting to use up some more of the veggies in my fridge... Ok - I had lots of reasons.

Luckily, this one was scrumptious! I was very careful with the garlic. I tried a new squash (opo - from the Asian market). I only used one batch of greens with no stems. And I added lots of fresh herbs. All of the flavors and aromas made my palate sing with joy! (Okay that sounds super weird - but it's true!)

I must have said yum at least five times!

Here's how I did it:

Springtime Stir Fry
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 opo squash (or large zucchini) chopped
1 large carrot julienned
1 bunch broccoli leaves (or other green) rough chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 handful basil chopped
1 handful mint chopped
1 handful cilantro chopped

2 tsp olive oil
1/2 pkg extra firm tofu sliced
1 Japanese eggplant sliced

Heat the first 2 Tbsp of olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for a minute or two being careful not to burn. Add the squash and carrot and let cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Heat the second 2 tsp of olive oil on high heat and add the tofu and eggplant slices. Drizzle a little shoyu (healthy soy sauce) over the tofu. Brown - about 5 minutes each side.

Add the broccoli squash and grated ginger to the stir fry and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, add the herbs and stir.

Serve on top of brown rice.

Yum!

I also made a salad with romaine and red lettuce, arugula, cilantro, green onion, avocado, grated carrot and a sliced orange. I drizzled it with a "honey mustard" dressing made with dijon mustard, agave syrup, seasoned rice vinegar, olive oil and lemon - I didn't measure anything, just added each to taste. It was amazing!

All of the delicious fresh ingredients in both dishes were like a party in my mouth! It felt so healthy and nourishing! Especially after a few too many splurges this week. (Tofutti ice cream [or rice dream] sandwiches, fried soy shrimp, and even a vegan cupcake!)

Feeling a little puffy from a week of indulging? Make a light, healthy meal like this one and then tell me all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment