Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spaghetti Squash - The New Noodles

Ok, so I know people have been using spaghetti squash in place of pasta for years, but I always thought it sounded kind of, um, gross. Or at least really bland...But I tried it and it wasn't!

I was inspired to try it when this adorable older couple at my last Weight Watchers meeting were going on and on about how great it was. That's one of my favorite things about WW - getting food ideas from other people.

It was actually really good - with way less calories than regular pasta.

All you do is cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, spray with olive oil and bake at 400 for 45 minutes or so. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and then scoop out the flesh, which will come out in strings like pasta - so cool!

Then top it with your favorite pasta sauce - I used marinara with mushrooms and added some veggie crumbles.

I will definitely make this again!


Have you ever tried spaghetti squash instead of pasta? What did you think? Do you have any other smart low-cal substitutions for higher calorie foods? Post a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I have tried the Tofu Shirataki noodles and they actually were quite good. Although there was an initial odd fishy smell to them as they cooked. Once they were cooked, they were awesome (just a bit pricy) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Kris about the Shirataki, at 20 calories for the entire package (Yes, the ENTIRE package) you can't go wrong. The squash sounds good too, looks a little strange but sounds good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kris and Brian! I have tried those and I agree. My only issue was that they kind of stuck together. But I have another pkg in my fridge now, so I'll try em again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about this, and have been wanting to try it as well!

    ReplyDelete