Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Roller Coaster Ride

Everything I read just after deciding to go vegan was all positive. "You'll have more energy, better skin, easier digestion, weight loss... You'll be kinder to the planet by helping to reduce consumption of precious resources, etc., etc. How can you argue with that?

But since then, I've found a lot of conflicting information.

I pulled out the Perricone Prescription book (an anti-inflamatory diet I've been meaning to try) to see what it had to say about meat. The doctor included all kinds of scientific reasons why you need lean meats and omega 3 from fish like salmon... Um - not really gelling with the vegan point of view.

I wondered if I was doing the right thing.

That same day, we went to Burger Lounge for lunch. I had tried their veggie burgers before and was excited that I could still have delicious meals like that... until the girl at the register mentioned the veggie patties had cheese inside! And the salad on had eggs in the dressing! So, they had nothing I could eat - except for french fries... which I was pretty close to just ordering for lunch. We decided to go somewhere else, but I was really bummed! No Burger Lounge... and what else was I going to find out was full of dairy? :(

Was I going to be able to do this?

I've continued to do more research and one thing is clear - everyone has a different opinion. So, I guess you just have to see what beliefs resonate with you and what feels good for your body. So far, this feels good. so, we'll see how it goes.

There have been a few things that really pushed me in the vegan direction. This quote from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet (about how she felt after eating vegan for two weeks) was one of them:

"I noticed that my whole body felt lighter. I was more vibrant and spunky. I felt like my heart had sort of opened a bit and my shoulders could relax, as if an overall softening had taken place..."

Is it my imagination or is that happening to me too? I feel so light! Excuse me while I float off to bed... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment