Friday, February 18, 2011

High Maintenance, Picky Be-@tch? Moi?

I just did something I've never done before. I marched myself up to the front desk of a fancy hotel and complained about a meal. [Gasp!]

Is trying to live a vegan lifestyle turning me into a high maintenance, picky be-@tch?

I never complain at restaurants. Forget my side of ranch. No big deal. Forget I asked for the dressing on the side. No big deal. Forget I asked for some water. No big deal.

Maybe it was because we drove for six hours, in the rain, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, through L.A., with our dog in the car. Maybe I was already a little on edge. Maybe...

Two hour wait for room service? Okay, we'll try the bar. I order the best salad option without the chicken, or the feta, but it seems like it should still have enough left on it to make it a meal. Seasonal fresh vegetables? Yum!

It arrives: field greens with garbonzo beans from a can and roasted red peppers and olives from a jar. The "seasonal fresh vegetables" are one piece of cold grilled yellow squash.

I try one of Pat's fries and they came from a bag in the freezer! Disappointing! Total: $98... You have to be kidding!! Have I been watching too much Food Network? Those restaurants never serve canned, frozen stuff - even the diners, drive-ins and dives make their food from scratch!!! And this is a fancy hotel!!!

The lady at the front desk was very apologetic and our meal was comped, but I walked away feeling really strange. What happened to my old happy-go-lucky, eat-whatever-you-put-in-front-of-me self?

I knew a weekend getaway would be a vegan food challenge, but I thought it would be a fun one. And I still think it will - I saw some vegan-friendly restaurants online that I'm excited to try.

So, my mission to achieve better health while helping to make the world a better place continues...

Check back to see how it turns out! And, Happy Presidents Day Weekend!!

1 comment:

  1. is wine vegan? you might need a glass...
    I love you girl!! Have a great weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete