Thursday, February 24, 2011

Going Greens - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

When I decided to cut out meat and dairy I wanted to try and do it in the healthiest way possible.

One of the ways I'm trying to accomplish this is through a community-supported agriculture program (CSA). Members get a regular distribution of fresh, seasonal, organic produce from local farms.

I'd been wanting to join one for a while, but always chickened out fearing I'd end up with lots of unfamiliar green stuff that ultimately turned into slime in the vegetable drawer.

But as part of my new food adventure, it seemed like the perfect way to try some new things and up my veggie intake.

I'm lucky that my employer partners with Inland Empire CSA and there's a pickup on our campus. I opted for the smallest allotment - a half box, every other week. At my first pickup two weeks ago, I was pretty intimidated when I laid eyes on all those leafy things. I recognized the lettuce, citrus and avocados, but I wasn't too sure what herbs, greens and root vegetables I was looking at.

After asking around, and some Internet research, I was able to identify everything. So, I set out searching for recipes, ideas and some space in the fridge to store it all...

Over the last two weeks, I made some delicious meals: salads, stir frys, a casserole - I even put the greens in my smoothies.

One of my favorite meals was a hearty soup. Here's how I did it, but you can make any variation based on the ingredients you have. It was super easy and scrumptious!

Kale and White Bean Vegetable Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
3 baby bok choys chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
3 roma tomatoes chopped
1 medium daikon peeled and cubed
1/2 cup radishes cubed
1 can cannellini beans
1 can black beans
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
handful of Italian parsley chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large  pot. Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and the rest of the vegetables, beans and herbs. Simmer on medium heat for 25 minutes, or until radishes and daikon are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


It was a challenge to try and use up all that produce! I've been doing a lot more cooking than I was used to, but I'm really enjoying it! And, it feels good to know my veggies were grown locally and picked within days of reaching me.

And, so far, no green slime in the drawer!

More info about CSAs:

The Inland Empire CSA is made up of two Certified Organic farms, Sage Mountain Farm in Aguanga, California, which supplies most of the veggies and De Luz Farms and Nursery in Temecula, which grows avocados, citrus and other fruits.

Another good one in San Diego is Be Wise Ranch.

Some fun food pics:

Cutest avocado ever - about 2" long.

Roasted beets, carrots, raddishs and baby bok choy.

Cilantro pesto - I ended up adding vinegar and using as a salad dressing.


Do you have a favorite veggie recipe you want to share? I'm gonna need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment