Sunday, February 27, 2011

New Cookie Baking Technique?


Lady Gwenivere, my cooking buddy

Last night I decided to warm up the house with the oven. My friend Kate had sent me a recipe for vegan chocolate chip cookies that I wanted to try, but xanthum gum is not an ingredient I usually keep on hand. I'm not even sure what it is...

So, after a quick web search, I found a simple recipe on Vegweb.com that I could make with what I did have in the cupboard.

 The only thing that sounded different from regular chocolate chip cookies was it said to put them in the oven for five minutes and then flip and cook for five more minutes. Different, but okay fine - whatever you gotta do.

I figured maybe that was the only way they could cook evenly without eggs and butter. 
The flipped cookies... :)

So, after five minutes, I tried to flip the half-baked cookies over, and as they slipped and smooshed all over the cookie sheet and the melted chocolate smeared all over the spatula, I started to think maybe I was doing something wrong.
 
I looked at the recipe again. It said, "Bake for five minutes and then flip and rotate the sheets."
  
Oh - flip the sheets, not the cookies... Oops!

So, half of the cookies ended up looking pretty funky, but they were all yummy!


Super crunchy and delicious!

Stale sourdough = salad star
I also endeavored to make my first batch of croutons. I had a loaf of fresh sourdough wheat bread from Whole Foods that turned into a brick in the fridge.

So, I chopped it up, drizzled it with olive oil and minced garlic, and baked it in the oven. It was super easy and they turned out fantastic - better than anything you could buy in the store!

Next time your bread gets stale, give it a try!


Have you ever misread a recipe? Make me feel better and share your story below!



No comments:

Post a Comment