Saturday, October 5, 2013

Session 3, Week 6: I Get to Do This

Hanging out with my little guy post-
workout.
I took my first Body Back Boost class yesterday and I left in tears.

Not from the burpees, or the planks. Or the lunges or the jumping jacks. Or the crunches.

It was the meditation at the end that got me.

Body Back Boost is an extra drop-in class that you can take to supplement your workouts - which should be six per week. It was a "rounds" class so we did intervals of two sets of three different intense exercises for a minute each.

It was tough, but I was motivated by instructor Laureen's energy, and by my fellow three-consecutive-session Body Backers, Charissa and Alisa.

It was my fourth intense workout in a row so I had to dig deep. But when I felt myself slowing down, I heard Laureen say, "Don't cheat yourself. This is your time!" And I got a second wind and was able to push myself to the end.

After a much-needed stretch, we all laid down and closed our eyes. I felt myself start to relax as a smile crept across my face.

Laureen began reading the meditation about the importance of our role as mothers and I felt myself start to get emotional. Uh-oh. All of the sudden I felt my smile turn into a contorted, trying-to-hold-back-the-tears face and hoped to god no one was looking at me.

I didn't know most of these ladies and I didn't want them to think I was weird.

I took a few deep breaths and started to calm down. But as she went on about how our children were meant to be ours and I thought of how true that was about my special little guy, I couldn't hold it back. The tears welled up.

I stalled a little when it was time to sit up, but I couldn't lay there forever. I caught a glimpse of my red eyes in the mirror and tried quickly to wipe the tears away. Luckily Charissa was next to me. She asked if I was okay and I assured her that I was.

Really, they were happy tears. I was overwhelmed, but full of love and gratitude.

Grateful for my wonderful little family and the reminder to cherish every moment with them. Grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this amazing program. Grateful for the incredible women I can now call my friends because of it. Grateful for my stronger, healthier body. Grateful for the new-found mental and emotional strength.

And grateful for opportunities like these to reflect on what it means to be a mom and what an amazing journey this has all been.

I'm so lucky that I get to do this!

Learn more about Body Back:
https://www.facebook.com/BodyBackSD
http://sandiego.fit4mom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment