Sunday, October 13, 2013

Week 7: Charissa's Story of Gratitude


It's been a wild ride, this third session. I gained, I lost and then gained again. I started running again, and then hurt my leg. I peed my pants and cried in class. What a roller coaster!

Now our final assessment is Tuesday - just one day away!

From what I can tell at this point, I'm going to come in somewhere close to my goal - which was basically to maintain my weight loss from the first two sessions.

I was hoping to see continued improvement during the fitness assessment, but with a hurt leg, I need to be careful - especially during the .6 mile run. So, I'm not as excited as I have been for the last two final assessments. 

Being the extremely thoughtful person she is -
Charissa made sure everyone was included in
the pumpkin exercise.
But I am excited that I get to continue this incredible journey with some truly amazing women.

And this week instead of blathering on about myself, I'd like to share a beautiful email written by one of these amazing women (with her permission).

Charissa and I started our Body Back journey together in May and she won that first session. She has managed to maintain that same level of determination for the last six months and has seen some awesome results that go far beyond the scale.

Last Thursday was the day before her 40th birthday, and the day before she and her family were leaving for Maui - the trip was the impetus for her joining Body Back in the first place.

Heidi started our class by having us each pick a pumpkin with an inspirational word on it for our partner and share the reason. There were a few people missing from class, so -- being the extremely thoughtful person that she is -- Charissa adopted all of the partnerless ladies to make sure everyone was included.

Charissa's partner Michelle chose the pumpkin that said, "gratitude" and later that day, Charissa wrote this moving email to the group:

Can I just say I love you guys?

My amazing partner Michelle gave me the perfect pumpkin!
Gratitude is exactly what I am feeling today. I am overwhelmed.

It is easy to say that Body Back has been a life-changing experience for me. But the truth is that Body Back is simply the place where I met life-changing women.

Body Back might be the windmill, but it is all of you who are the wind - powerful and inspiring wind that has blown a new season into my life where I am refreshed, re-energized and re-committed to being the woman I want to be.

I am so grateful to be a part of such an incredible group of women.


The support, friendship, inspiration, accountability and kindness you have given is precious to me.

I think we bring out the best in each other - and that in and of itself is powerful.

Imagine all of us, at our best, going home to our families, going out into the world.

We give that to ourselves every time we show up and we find the strength to do things we never thought we could do.

When I signed up for Body Back, I had hoped to lose some weight.


But what I gained is so much more important than the (hard earned) reduction of the numbers on the scale.

I gained beautiful friends. I gained a sense of strength and capability that carries over into other aspects of my life. 

And I regained my belief in myself, which for me is the biggest gift of all.

Thank you for launching me into my 40's in this beautiful place where I feel stronger and happier and healthier than I have felt in a long time.


Thank you to each of you for what you have taught me (and are teaching me) and for your kindness and friendship and simply for being you.

Charissa


Thank you, Charissa, for letting me share your beautiful words! I share your gratitude and am so very grateful for and inspired by you!

No comments:

Post a Comment