Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vegan Fiesta - Enchiladas, Rice and Beans


I looooove Mexican food! I think I could eat it every day. In fact, I pretty much do. It's usually taco salad, but lately I've been craving enchiladas. I decided to go big and make beans and rice too.

My friend Laura makes awesome beans, so I followed her advice and they turned out awesome! First I soaked them overnight. Then I sauteed up some onions, garlic whatever veggies I could find - a red bell pepper, a tomato and maybe some other stuff.

Then I added some veggie broth and let it cook for about 45 minutes.

For the rice, I started with some olive oil and added the rice, stirring to coat. Then I added a bunch of chopped veggies - more garlic, green onion, a carrot and some frozen corn. I added some veggie broth and let it cook for about 35 minutes. (I had taken it off earlier, thinking it was done when it soaked up all the water, but it wasn't, so be sure to taste it before you consider it done - you may need to add more water and cook longer.)

For the enchiladas, I started by sauteing some diced beet stems in olive oil. Then I threw in some chopped up beet greens and let it start to wilt. Then I threw in some diced garlic, some cooked diced red potato and the rest of the frozen corn I had. I crumbled in the extra firm tofu and seasoned with cumin and ground red pepper.

I wrapped a stack of corn tortillas in a paper towel and microwaved them for a minute to soften them so they would roll up easily.

Then I coated the baking dish with enchilada sauce, assembled the enchiladas one by one and filled up the dish.

I had some filling left over so I layered it with tortillas in a smaller pan and covered with sauce. I topped both with shredded vegan cheddar cheese and baked at 350 for about 25 minutes.

The combo of the enchiladas, rice and beans was exactly what I wanted! And they turned out so good, Pat even ate some! Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment