Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Copy Cat Dinner: Gnocchi with Chunky Vegetable Sauce


It's been a while since I've been excited about something I've cooked - heck, it's been a while since I've cooked!

Life has been hectic lately! But tonight I finally took the time to make dinner and it helped that I knew exactly what I wanted to make. I was inspired by a meal made by my coworker (and friend) Michelle and her husband Dana.

They scored a box of CSA produce from our boss, who was going on vacation and she shared the photo of the pasta they made with lots of the veggies. It looked amazing and I had to copy them since I had all the same veggies in my fridge - waiting to be eaten.

Here's how I did it:

Gnocchi with Chunky Vegetable Sauce

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 zucchinis, sliced
1 bunch swiss chard leaves, chopped
2 heads garlic, peeled and pressed
2 large tomatoes
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
a few grinds each of: sea salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper
1 pkg whole wheat gnocchi

I sauteed the veggies in the olive oil, starting with the zucchini and chard. Then I threw in the garlic and the tomatoes. It was a little tangy, so I added the balsamic for a little sweetness. Then we added the seasonings and stirred in the cooked gnocchi.


Oh - and the other day, I found vegan Parmesan cheese! So that was fun to sprinkle on top!


Pat threw some chicken on top of his, but he said he liked it even without it.

Thanks Michelle and Dana for the great dinner idea! It wasn't as pretty as yours (below), but it was delish! Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment