Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

The other day we went to a bbq at my sister's house and, of course, I brought lots of veggies to throw on the grill. It was a beautiful sight. Someone even grabbed my phone while I was busy making salad and took a picture so I'd have it for my blog - thanks guys!


We ended up with lots of leftover corn. So the next day, I decided to make a southwestern quinoa salad. It was really easy and delicious! Here's how I did it:


Southwestern Quinoa Salad
3 cups cooked quinoa
kernels from 2 ears of bbqed corn
1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
3/4 cup tomatillo dressing (my tomatillo salsa recipe + 1 tbps olive oil and 1/2 avocado)
chopped green onions for garnish

I threw the quinoa in the rice cooker and while that was cooking, made the salsa. I roasted the tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic for much longer this time so they got nice and brown - probably about 15 minutes.



I decided to add the olive oil and avocado this time to make it more like a dressing.


Once the quinoa was done cooking and cooled off a little, I added the chopped veggies and poured on the salsa/dressing.


Then I threw it in the fridge to cool a little more before dinner time. It was a perfect addition to a summer night dinner. I ate it over some of the other leftover grilled veggies and pat had it as a side with a leftover hot dog.

We get lots of brownie points for using up all those leftovers! Now, if only we had some vegan brownies... mmmm... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment