Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Old Tunes, New Veggie - Good Times!

This morning on my way to hot yoga I heard "All Over You" by the band Live. Not familiar with that song? Not surprised since I'm the only Live fan I know. But it's really good! The whole album is awesome! I used to listen to the "Throwing Copper" tape while cruising around in my Hyundai Excel in the late 90s. Good times!

As soon as I got home from work tonight, I busted out the CD and put it on while I danced around the kitchen, singing my head off and making dinner. Pat thinks I'm insane, but I had a blast.


I think the only thing I'm more obsessed with than Live right now is stir fry. I've been making it every week since I learned how to do it right. Tonight I was especially excited because I had a new veggie to try from my CSA box - kohlrabi.

I was about to start chopping it up to throw in, when I realized I should probably look up how to cook it. It's a good thing I did because otherwise I wouldn't have realized you're supposed to peel it. Oops!

This stir fry included:
  • kohlrabi
  • yellow carrots
  • daikon
  • daikon radishes
  • broccoli
  • bok choy
I just used a little canola oil and a few dashes of soy sauce to let the flavor of the veggies shine. I ate it over some brown rice and it was scrumptious!

I think the trick is to chop up all the veggies first, get the pan really hot, add the oil, throw all your hard veggies in first and let them get a little sear, stirring occasionally. Then throw in the wimpier veggies and garlic if you're using, stir a few times and turn the pan off. This way the veggies stay a little firm and keep their flavor. If this isn't the way you already do it, try it. Maybe you'll become as big a fan as me!

The kohlrabi is kind of like a sweet, mild radish - like a cross between a radish and an apple. I cut it in half (after peeling) and then sliced it thinly.

For dessert, I made vegan soft serve, but this time I added a tablespoon of vegan cream cheese while blending and then stirred in a leftover carrot cake cupcake - yum!

Live concert 2009. See the singer right past my head?
"I alone love you/ I alone tempt you/ I alone love you/ fear is not the end of this! Ye-ah ooh!"

Live rocks!

I actually got a chance to see them in concert two years ago when they played at our company developers conference - NO ONE was more excited about it than me - I mean NO ONE!! :)

Do you ever listen to music while you cook? What's your favorite kitchen tunes?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment