Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Getting My Mind, Body And Spirit Back - Reflecting on the Journey

Living it up in Hawaii before marriage and kids. And carrying the extra 20 lbs I've struggled with for my whole adult life.
As my fourth session of Body Back comes to an end, I've been reflecting on how much has changed over the last few months, and over the last few years.

My life was pretty much the same for a long time. And then it wasn't.


Pat and I lived together for about six years before we got married. We worked, traveled, hung out with friends, slept in on the weekends. We did what people without kids do - whatever we wanted. I was happy and not sure I wanted kids. I didn't want my fun life to change.

After enough hint dropping, Pat finally popped the question in 2009 and we got engaged. We planned a giant wedding and got married in 2010, got pregnant in 2011 and had Coen in 2012. Whoa!

I have struggled with the same extra 20 lbs my whole adult life. I had lost it again before the wedding and then slowly gained 10 of it back by the time I got pregnant.

Being pregnant was amazing and terrifying. I watched with disbelief as my body grew and stretched in ways I never thought possible. And I gained almost 50 lbs!


The non-medicated birth was crazy and exhausting but our little Coen was the most amazing reward. He was born with fluid in his lungs and we suffered through a weeklong NICU stay and a heart-breaking trip home without him.


But after a full recovery, we settled into our new normal and I tried desperately to enjoy every minute of my maternity leave that I knew would be over all too soon.

Right before starting Body Back.
I felt blessed to be home with him, but it was tough! The constant feeding and diaper changing, trying to discern the different cries, the lack of sleep and all the worrying started to make me a little crazy.

As soon as I hit the 6-week mark, I joined stroller strides and things started to change. We got out of the house and got some exercise in the fresh air. I met other moms. It provided a sense of routine and gave me more energy and strength.
When it was time to go back to work, I knew there was no way around it, so I jumped right in. I could only do Stroller Strides on Saturdays, but the early morning Body Back classes fit perfectly into my schedule.

Coen was about eight months old when I started Body Back. I had gotten back down to my pre-pregnancy weight. But my body composition was definitely different and most of my work clothes still didn't fit.

That first session changed everything. By the end, my work clothes were loose and I treated myself to some new clothes. By the end of the second session, those new clothes were loose and I had to go shopping again!
I now wear a smaller size than I've ever worn. I have more muscle definition. I can run faster, do more push ups, sit ups, hold a plank longer - you name it! I also have more energy. And I am happier than I have ever been! Being a working mom is tough, but I feel like I can do anything.

And now I'm training to teach, which is something I never thought I'd do! For me, this is stretching way out of my comfort zone. But Body Back has changed my life so much, that I want to help other moms experience the same magic.

So, while Stroller Strides has truly lived up to it's motto of giving me "the Strength for Motherhood," Body Back went even beyond it's name and gave me back my mind, body and spirit - and then some!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats Angie! You make us proud! Thanks for inspiring moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Lisa for creating this amazingly powerful and effective program that has already touched so many lives and will continue to do so!

      Delete
  2. Love this post Angie! You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you Summer for giving me the opportunity to share my stories and take on the challenge of instructing!

      Delete
  3. WOW I am officially inspired!!! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! Wonderful story! Glad to hear you are doing so well!!

    ReplyDelete