Sunday, August 11, 2013

15 Weeks and Counting: My Body Back Journey So Far

 
Wish this baby was on the food plan... :)

Can't believe I'm almost done with my second 8-week session of BodyBack!

Tuesday after next is our final assessment where we'll see how far we've come. That means I have just eight days left to give it my all.

After a super encouraging email from our Body Back leader, Ashley, I have a renewed commitment to do my very best during this last week. In fact, it came just in time to help me plan NOT to have mimosas at a family brunch today - a big deal for me, since I LOVE a good mimosa ... or several ... :)

For those who aren't familiar with BodyBack, it's a workout program with a meal plan and food journal designed for moms who want to get back in shape after having kids. We meet for workouts twice a week and are encouraged to workout on our own for a total of six days, with one rest day.

"To get what you've never had..."



The workouts are INTENSE! Before I had Coen, I did a bootcamp/circuit small group training workout several times a week and I thought that was hard core - but this is even more challenging. The instructors push you to your limit saying things like "You can and you will" and my favorite, "To get what you've never had, you must do what you've never done!"

I truly leave every workout feeling like I could conquer the world!

And that is an amazing feeling considering I first walked in the door 16 weeks ago feeling tired, stressed, bloated, depressed and very nervous about what I had signed up for. The instructor was Heidi and she put me at ease right away. I could tell she was there to help me every step of the way - and she did!

The food plan consists of easy-to-make recipes, "grab and go" foods and healthy restaurant options. For the first eight weeks I made a commitment to myself to follow it as closely as possible, which meant cutting out dessert and alcholol. I ended up having just two splurge meals the whole time, which was huge considering I had gotten into the habit of having dessert after every meal and beer or wine with dinner most nights.

My body responded right away - I lost almost seven pounds the first week!

Over the following weeks it came off a lot slower, but I still managed to lose a total of 13.6 pounds - 10% of my body weight!

I also lost 3 inches off my chest, 2 inches off my waist, 2 off my hips and 1.5 off my thighs.

Check out my before and after pics:


At the final assessment, I shaved 31 seconds off my .6 mile run to 4:46. I doubled my plank and side bridge times, and increased the amount of bicep curls, push ups and squats I could do in a minute. My biggest personal victory though was going from 0 to 18 sit ups! That's right - at the first assessment, I could not do one sit up. As hard as I tried, I couldn't do one. It was humbling, but I figured that the bright side was I could only go up from there.

Another interesting element to Body Back is that it's also a competition. The person with the best results wins a free session (worth $399)! There's some motivation for you!

Trying to win the session was pretty much the last thing on mind going into it. But part way through, when I realized what great results I was having, I started to think, "Hey, maybe I do have a chance at winning this thing..."

I didn't win, but I did come in second, which was pretty cool! The person who did win, Miss Charissa McAfee, worked her butt off and truly deserved to get that next session for free - especially considering she was the first to sign back up, long before the assessment was even in our sights. Talk about commitment! She is such an inspiration!

Session two - Maintaining momentum
I could go on forever, but I'll save my second session results so far for my next blog. Stay tuned to see how It's going this time around!

Want to follow me?
I used to have some followers, but I think I lost them all... If you would like to follow my blog, just enter your email address in the box in the top left of the page and you'll get an email each time I publish a new post.

Learn more about Body Back:
https://www.facebook.com/BodyBackSD
http://sandiego.fit4mom.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment