Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Sandwich Even I Could Love


After a long day at work, I wasn't feeling like a very creative cook ... until I looked in the fridge and remembered the big bag of yellow squash from my CSA box!

We also had a bag of wheat hamburger buns. So I decided to grill the squash and make a sandwich. It may not sound that exciting, but I can't get over how good it turned out! And I'm not usually a big fan of sandwiches.

It turned out so good, in fact, that I had to have seconds. And since I didn't want to overdo it with the bread, I ate the second one as a wrap - with my new favorite wrapper: a collard green leaf. I know it sounds weird, but it totally works. It's like a hearty lettuce wrap.

But the thing that put the sandwiches over the top was the vegan garlic aioli - yum! When my sister lived with us, we used to make this with light mayo all the time and put it on lean burgers or turkey sliders.

Here's how I made the sandwiches:

Grilled Yellow Squash Sammies
2 yellow squashes cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
a light mist of olive oil
1 roma tomato cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
few leaves of arugula
1 whole grain hamburger bun toasted
1 large collard green leaf, stem removed

Vegan Garlic Aioli
2 tbsp Vegenaise
large clove of garlic, pressed
1 tsp dijon mustard


Mist a large skillet with the olive oil and grill the squash on both sides. Combine the aioli ingredients and spread onto the bread. Top with the squash, tomato and arugula and enjoy!


For the wrap, just load up the squash and tomato, spread on the aioli and fold up like a burrito.


And, I've been started tracking Weight Watchers points again and both of these sandwiches together were 9 points. (3 for the bun, 5 for the Vegenaise and 1 for the cooking oil.)

These sandwiches were so delicious, I can't wait to make them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment