Sunday, June 5, 2011

Living the Raw-ish, Vegan-ish Life


Over the past few weeks I've been trying to find some balance with my new way of eating. I've managed to do another few days in a row of eating all raw, but that's as far as I've been able to go so far.

But otherwise, I've still been eating vegan - except for a few times lately where I broke down and ate some cheese. I've had to lighten up about that a little. Once was at a work event where the only non-meat option was a veggie sandwich with goat cheese spread all over the veggies. The other time was a veggie burger I ordered and started eating when I realized it had cheese in the patty. Oh well, I've come to the conclusion that a little cheese here and there isn't going to kill me! Though I do want to try and avoid it as much as I can. 

So, on the raw front, I've made a few more fun things - chips and two different kinds of hummus.

I recently invested in a dehydrator and my first attempt was raw corn chips. They were actually pretty good - they would have been better, but I missed a step. So next time I know what to do differently.

I used a variation of a couple different recipes. Here's how I did it:




Raw Corn Chips
3 cups corn
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Spread on a fruit roll sheet in a thin layer and score in chip shapes. Place the sheet on one of the dehydrator trays. Dehydrate 12 hours, flip and dehydrate another 4 or so hours. Break apart at score lines.

Serve with guacamole! :)

After all of that dehydrating - they never got all the way crispy. I think if I would have take them off the fruit roll sheet after 12 hours and placed them directly on the dehydrator tray, they would have gotten much crispier - so I will try that next time. Also - I think they might be better with less onion. I want them to taste as much like real corn chips as possible and real corn chips don't taste like onion...

I also tried making two different kinds of raw hummus. Both were variations of recipes in the book, "Living on Live Foods" by Alissa Cohen. First I tried making zucchini hummus and it was yummy - but didn't taste like hummus.





Zucchini Hummus
2 cups zucchini, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

I also tried a making one with sprouted chickpeas. The sprouting took three days, and it didn't actually taste like hummus either. But it was a pretty tasty dip. And I think I can make it better (and more hummus-y) next time with a few substitutions.







Raw Hummus
2 cups sprouted chickpeas
1/2 cup raw tahini
1/2 cup onion - I used green
3/4 cup olive oil
1 cup lemon, peeled
1/2 bunch parsley
1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
.
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

I think if I use garlic instead of onions, it will taste more like the hummus I'm used to, so I'll try that next time.

There was a lot going on this week - a work party, a birthday party and a baby shower - and I splurged at each one. It was all lots of fun, but I'm looking foward to getting back on track this week! Mondays are great for starting fresh!

Are you with me? Do you have anything you want to start over with tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment