Friday, May 13, 2011

Mini Raw Challenge, Bay to Breakers Bound

I've been waiting for the right time to kick off my week-long raw food challenge and fun stuff just keeps getting in the way. But I got really excited about it, so I decided to do a 3-day challenge.

Kate and I had planned to go to Vegan Beer night at Sea Rocket Bistro in South Park, so I ate raw from Monday to Thursday night.

On Thursday I felt amazing! I had tons of energy, my mind was clearer, my clothes were fitting looser. It was great!

Waking up today after Vegan Beer night, I felt awful! The food was pretty good, the beer was really good, and the company was awesome, so it was definitely worth the splurg, was I was ready to get back on the raw diet.

I've been trying to keep my meals simple, so for breakfast I've been having lots of fruit or a smoothie. Then for lunch I've been having a gigantic salad - I mean huge - with lettuce, carrot, apple, orange, nuts and sprouts, or anything else I can find to throw in. For snacks, I'm eating more fruit and nuts or veggies with guacamole. Then for dinner, more salad. I'm keeping it interesting by using different veggie combos and concocting different dressings.

I also found some raw snacks at Henry's - Kale chips and granola. Yum!

Some other fun stuff I've been doing...

I read that soaking and sprouting nuts, legumes and grains increases their nutritional value and makes them easier to digest, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far I've tried soaking almonds and sprouting lentils.



Raw Almond Milk
I made my own almond milk with the soaked almonds, and it was actually pretty easy. After soaking a cup of raw almonds for 24 hours, I threw them in the blender with two cups of water. Then I poured it over a strainer lined with a paper towel into a bowl.

It's tastes pretty close to the store bought version.

Raw Almond "Cheese"
I also made some cheese with the almond pulp that was left over. It doesn't taste exactly like cheese of course, but it makes a pretty tasty spread. I actually found a recipe on a website called almondpulp.com - random! I will definitely make it again.



Sprouting Lentils
My first attempt at sprouting was with green lentils and it totally worked! I started with 3/4 cup of dry lentils and soaked them in a bowl of water overnight. Then the next morning, I dumped out the water and left them in the bowl on the counter, covered with a paper towel. I rinsed them a couple times a day for three or four days and watched in amazement as they began to sprout. They grew to like four times their original size!







All of this:



From this:



Tomorrow we're flying to San Francisco for the Bay to Breakers 12K run. It's supposed to be a lot fun. People get dressed up and some people even run naked! (I won't be doing that!) I'll try to take some pictures of the maddness. We aren't dressing up, but we got shirts made with our team name - Team CAK (Ciela, Kate and Angie.) Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment